Anonymous, 08 Sep 2021Outdated phone with ridiculous price,,, forgot it😁😁😁 you are very funny
Cco8, 09 Sep 2021Mate we're talking Pixel business, what are you on about?Read previous posts to understand the topic or leave it altogether
ElioX, 08 Sep 2021Well, first things first.
1. Moto was using AOSP. That is different than Pixel and yes, AOSP ... moreAllow me to add what I know. I am using a Mi 9T now. It is an ANZAC set and I am using it in Malaysia. Didn't need to disable ads because I never encounter them since using the phone from 2019. Yes, no ads popup after installing new apps and using the security scan. I know users from other regions are encountering ads, so I believe the ads situation is different between countries.
Regarding OS updates, the phone already got 2 OS versions from Android 9 out of the box to currently Android 11 running MIUI 12.1.4. Since it is a midrange model, I would say that it's good Xiaomi still supporting a model that already passed 2 years old.
Anonymous, 08 Sep 2021Outdated phone with ridiculous price,,, forgot itReally?
Outdated phone with ridiculous price,,, forgot it
Apart from the heating issues the device is good. Very well written review. The phone for me isn't reliably enough. Looking forward to the Pixel 6.
Anyone that know if it supports dual frequency GPS (L5)?
I would also miss 90/120 Hz refresh, otherwise all fine.
The major problem is that it is not sold outside of US, so I cannot buy it anyway.
cherry, 08 Sep 2021I live in Germany and in my field, software engineering my mates from USA earn around 8000 dol... moreI am talking Ph.D. and academics. They are fixed. My wife is in software development and they have hundreds of levels and categories in work. And also, if your friend works in a place where rents are starting from 5000$ (i.e. the center of computer sciences, Silicon Valley in San Francisco) then that is also normal. Anyways, the prices of devices have always been the same in the US and EU with the only difference being the eur instead of usd.
The 4a 5G is the most expensive.
Anonymous, 08 Sep 2021I'm surprised by the lack of brands available in the US. Google, Apple, Samsung and Sony,... moreThey know that if they allow Xiaomi, Realme, Oppo, Vivo and Huawei, majority of the people would switch leaving their homegrown Apple laughable marketshare
ElioX, 08 Sep 2021We are talking about salary in same job category. I have friends all over USA and with similar... moreI live in Germany and in my field, software engineering my mates from USA earn around 8000 dollars after taxes while in Germany the average is around 3500 dollars, huge difference.
I think it's a good phone with fantastic cameras, smooth and clean OS, long-term support software from Google as well !.
ElioX, 08 Sep 2021We are talking about salary in same job category. I have friends all over USA and with similar... moreJust because you get paid more doesn't mean you have to pay more for things, lol.
cherry, 08 Sep 2021Where are the salaries in European Union bigger than in USA? Not even Germany has bigger avera... moreWe are talking about salary in same job category. I have friends all over USA and with similar jobs in Germany we get more salary. It is not to compare. It is just a fact. And it is also true that we get about 40% tax per salary which decreases the overall net income to pocket. But salary is still higher. You may have mistaken my words as income in country or wage per capita. Those are different cases obviously.
Essen, 08 Sep 2021I guess to each their own. I was 3 years on a the OG Moto G from the days Google owned Motorol... moreWell, first things first.
1. Moto was using AOSP. That is different than Pixel and yes, AOSP is plain Android. Pixel is a bit more customizable. It is still better than iOS because you cant install magisk and then some customization modules from there on iOS in case you need it, and it comes with only a little customization on the board.
2. Ads in MIUI are in stock apps afaik. I don't think that would be that easy to turn off if they wanted you to see ads. Just a thought.
3. I have used my share of TouchWiz, MIUI, and AndroidOne (Xiaomi) devices. It is not the same as Pixel. Believe me. You need to try it.
4. Easy to turn off ads from third-party apps even without root. Use adblockers. I use it. It works. But not for ads in MIUI stock apps. Just my 2 cents.
5. Five years of updates doesn't make sense to me unless they provide official parts for the device. I have used a device not longer than 3 years and in those years I had to change so many parts including batteries (back when it was replaceable), 3.5mm jacks, screens, etc. I know that I am not that different from the next guy. So in about 2-3 years of usage, you will notice a battery health drop. And to continue using it you need to replace the battery or carry an adapter/battery pack quite often.
And if that would be real, then it would cost a LOT more than it is sold for right now. It sounds plausible in words but I have seen an iPhone 8 of my friend that is still receiving updates and before replacing the battery (unofficial) she wasn't even getting from morning until evening. Let's hope the unofficial battery will not burst in flames.
But yeah, 5 years updates come with caveats. I am not willing to pay the price for getting a 5-year update if it costs the same as iPhone devices right now (more than 2 times pricier than pixel 5a 5g).
6. No android device is getting 2 years os update unless it is THE premium device of THE brand that has the PREMIUM price tag. And especially the 100-150 price tag ones. I have NEVER seen a device that gets updates as GOOD as pixel devices. They are always late and always sloppy on update schedules. So, your argument doesn't even make sense. My pixel 3a XL was released with Android 9 in 2019. I currently have android 12 beta and will get android 12 stable AS SOON AS it arrives. This is 3 years of android version (OS) updates. Not two. Count with me: 9-10 (1), 10-11 (2). 11-12 (3). Three android version updates. And not different from the premium line (pixel 3/XL) but on par. And this is withOUT counting the fact that most other manufacturers release phones with older android versions(10) even though the new version(11) was already available and released. You cannot see such devotion in ANY OTHER brand. Neither Xiaomi nor Samsung or any other Chinese brand. Period.
But as you said in the first part, I guess to each their own.
ElioX, 08 Sep 2021I am saying what has been in effect for years and years. We get salaries in euros that are in ... moreWhere are the salaries in European Union bigger than in USA? Not even Germany has bigger average salaries than USA, not to mention that Greece, Italy or Eastern Europe don't even have half of the US income.